Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Farewell Favre

VERSE OF THE DAY: Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life. Proverbs 19:20

You know I've said it (and cried it) before and I have. You know he's said it (and cried it) before and he has. But now the nightmare is reality - Brett Favre, the 38-year-old, 17 season, hall of famed, number 4 quarterback for the Green Bay Packers is really gone.
Gone.
He has retired and we shall never see him throw a football again. America shall miss him so and all Packers fans shall spend this never-forgotten night with pillows drenched in tears over our "mentally tired" quarterback. Toria and I found out at the exact same time, so we talked about sorrows and weeping and gnashing of media teeth on the phone. You may notice I am being very sorrowfully subdued about this. I thought he would retire last year and got my tears out and my heart close to healed. He was my favorite best awesomest, so I cried as he did in 2006 and gave my heart to Peyton. A worthy recipient, but Favre came back!!! But I knew it was coming: he would have to leave soon. And somehow I know now... inexplicably... unexplainably... that it is time for him to - not step down as some would say - but set in concrete his hall of fame place and set in stone his fans' support and love.
This is NOT defeat.
This is NOT retreat.
This is Victory.
It is finished.
A good career ended.
A living legend in place.
A drug addiction.
A Super Bowl.
A wife with breast cancer.
Two daughters.
A number 4.
A big "G".
Seventeen years throwing pigskins.
Thousands of fans.
A Hall of Fame.
Nothing left unsaid.
Nothing left undone.
It is finished.
Brett is Victorious.
Favre 4ever.




17 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Meggy....
    Now you've got me crying, and I never heard anything about Favre before reading his name on your blog....
    Why do the good guys have to step down? Why must good times come to an end?
    Why do people die?

    Ack, now I'm getting melodramatic about a retiring football player.
    Good-night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Oh Meggy dearie I LOVE your post!!! Mine ended up sounding like the dear man died...but oh well, it was heart-felt!

    He's done

    He's gone

    But he still is

    A survivor

    And we'll still

    Miss him

    But we'll see

    His face again

    Farve Forever!!!

    (and now you just gotta tell me if I should go for Peyt or Eli or that Aaron guy that's *sobs* TAKING FARVE'S PLACE!!!)

    Love you girly,
    Toria

    p.s. what, now chrissy wants your e-mail? man, doesn't she get the hint? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:09 AM

    Doesn't get the hint, heeheeheee! What hint? You're crazy:P Yes, but it is true he IS victorious!!!!!!!! Aaron guy? NO don't hook on to him!!!!!!! Stick to Eli!!!!! He's precious and he needs you!!!!!:)
    Lana dear, thank you for your understanding!!!! Not many people do:( I guess I'm happy for him, but sad for me and everybody else this will affect. Green Bay, the Pats, Peyton *sniff sniff*!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:22 AM

    MEGGY T YOU ARE SNIFFING FOR THE PATS?!?!?!?!?!?!

    I don't know what hint, but she never gets any!!! LOL idk what I'm talking about...

    Okay, why not the new QB? Have you seen him? He's probably a dork and will dash G-Bay to the ground!!!

    Okayokayokay...*giggles* I'll stick to Eli....if he so badly "needs" me ^_^

    Love you girl,
    Toria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:50 AM

    He does:) I probably won't like that new goon unless he does something REALLY amazing.
    You mean she doesn't get YOUR hint - you don't want her to "steal" me!:P How many times have I told you I don't get "stolen" - I just get SALVAGED!!!:P
    And no I'm not sniffin for Pats, I'm sniffin that they'll be more... encouraged and that affects me:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:02 PM

    I'm sorry, Meggy...My aunt is with you. She went to see him play last year.... :( She's prolly upset.
    I guess she'll live...and you'll live....someday. :P

    Lana, I think people die because mortality rate is 1/1. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:36 PM

    I'm confused but oh well. My sympathy is with Meggy and Toria, you poor girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:05 PM

    Thanks. *sniff* But what's confusing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:14 PM

    football stuff. :P So twas Sticks... how funny. Mom thought it was you. So give you heat about... nice phone number ppl?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:30 PM

    Right. The sheer annoyance of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:56 AM

    Hey did you get my letter yet??? And you know I never used to freak myself out until I got that horrible new bed!!! I just don't get it...

    And no that's not exactly what I was meaning Meggy!!! The thing is...okay, we should just talk about it on the phone. There's a lot more that you don't know!!!

    *gasps* You...you don't think the Pats will take it out on Peyt, will they?! Oh no no no no NO! You know the summer horrible, you just sit there and wait and wonder WHAT is going through the teams minds....and their plans for the kill!!!!!

    Love you,
    Toria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:58 AM

    It doesn't seem REAL that he's gone....does it? Guess it'll be real when the season starts...I think he should just switch from being main QB to being the back up one....but no reason to wish for it when it won't happen. *sighs*

    love ya,
    toria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Well, at least he's backing up hhis decision. And yes I do think they see the Colts as too big a threat to take lightly. It so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Sheer annoyance????
    Well, did you call them?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hannah,
    well, technically, not quite exactly 1/1....
    but anyways, yeah, I know. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Why?!?!
    Yeah Lana that's what I say.

    ReplyDelete